Google+

Pages

Wednesday, 26 June 2013

Tag Tutorial


G'day everybody.  Wooo Hooooo I am super excited I have so much happening and so much to share with you all I barely know where to start.   Ok  *deep breaths* *deep breaths*.... About a week or so ago I submitted an application - a design team application over at  Sin City Stamps.  ANDDDDD Guess what???? They wrote back asking me to give a tutorial on a stamping technique and I was sitting here thinking OMG  OMG   O  M  G!!!     What to do ??? What to do ??? EEEEKKKK!!! and yes you guessed I panicked a bit....ok I panicked a lot.  Then I thought, hang on!!  I will just share with you all my grungy Tim Holtz style tag.


So as some of you may know I live in rural Australia where scrappy supplies are as rare as hens teeth and when you do find them!?!... well they are way out of my budget range.  For ages - or is it eons? I have admired the work of Tim Holtz and loved loved LOVED his tags and wished I had the tools, the inks, the supplies to create tags like that.  But I don't, so I thought I would experiment with what I do have and see what I could come up with.  I set about gathering up supplies.  Ink it up pigment inks, Tim Holtz Distress Inks, Homemade glimmermist, Perfect Pearls Mist, Hand cut grunge board heart and a few other bits n bobs from my stash - even some snaps from my sewing supplies.  My tags are cut on the cricut using an SVG file and I have used some recycled cereal box and manila card stock. Oh and I also got my dear hubby to take some snap shots for me here and there.


Ok well lets begin. Sorry guys, it's gonna get a little picture heavy from now on.
Gathered supplies

  My first layer was to go over both tags with some Tim Holtz tea dye.
                          I began adding the French blue to the top and bottom sections of the tag. 

   I then filled in the middle section with Acorn Squash.




 Then I went around the edges with Walnut stain and also lightly sponged it over the whole face of the tag. 
 I wanted to "grunge" it up a little. I repeated these steps with my second tag piece. Then began the spraying the pieces with my homemade glimmer mist.




Here you can see the difference the glimmermist made. It blended and toned down the inks.

I sprayed the tag with Perfect Pearls Mist "Biscotti"

 Here again is the difference the sprays made.
 After all that spraying and heat drying my tags were pretty curled and buckled.  So I grabbed my hair straightening iron....did I hear you say WHAT???? .... :) Yep my handy dandy hair straightener...Well an oldish one that I use in my scrappy room. These are fabulous for straightening out lace, ribbon, some trims, oh and of course tags lol ;)


  See how nice and flat they are now?  Much easier to stamp on....speaking of which we finally get to the stamping stage!!! Yay I bet you thought we were never gonna get here huh?I have layered my stamping by using Tim Holtz Black Soot and Stazon Jet Black.  I have found that the Black Soot dries to a softer black and this helps give the background layers a more faded look. So my first stamping layer is this little gungey "splatter" stamp, which I randomly stamped all over my tag


 Next I inked up one corner of my BIG crackle stamp.
 Masked off the middle or orange section of the tag with just a scrap of note paper.  I only wanted the crackle effect to appear in the French blue areas.



 Ok moving right along .... my next step was to...
.......... grab my Tim Holtz "Be Fearless" stamp and the Jet Black Stazon in
 and stamped the back of my tag

 I wanted to highlight some of the words from this stamp to make them stand out a bit more so I used this handy little glue pen and traced over the words.  I then added some black embossing powder.

and heat set them.  That is the back section of my tag complete. 

Now to move onto the front.
 My first stamping layer was with this large script stamp and some more Tim Holtz Black Soot Distress Ink
 then followed that up with some more random stamping of the "splatter" stamp.  Following my previous steps in masking, I then masked off the orange section of my tag and added the crackle layer.
 I have pulled out a selection of my Tim Holtz stamps, some acrylic and some rubber.  Here I have used the argyle stamp from his French Market collection.  I stamped it with Jet Black Stazon and added some embossing powder.
 I then used his butterfly and number  from the Urban Chic rubber stamps collection.
 So sorry guys I got busy with creating and forgot to take some pics of the stamping and embossing stages.  Here I am heat setting the embossing powders on the butterfly and I used the same technique on the numbers.  I love adding embossing powder.  It adds texture and dimension, plus it really makes the images pop that little bit more!!



 Here are both my stamped tag pieces .... all finished and ready to be glued down to the recycled cereal box.
 I have use Scotch wet glue.  Even though wet glue can take a little longer to dry, it does give you some wriggle room which is great when you are trying line up edges and layering pieces together.



.......and how do you say it
 voilà! 
Now all that is left to do is the embellishing.....


I grabbed some teal acrylic paint and.....

just dabbed it all over the the ornate plate with my finger

then heat set it with some UTEE


I inked all the edges with Black Soot

  then began to glue all my embellishments down


 Inked up my snaps with some stazon
and added them to the tag.

Lastly, was the ribbon and lace topper!!

  Here are some shots left over .... some different perspectives of the elements I used.

















I know that this has been a long read and I thank you all for bearing with me and sticking it out to the very end.  Please go check out Sin City Stamps, the have some awesome range of stamps in their store
Here is a link to their online shop  http://sincitystamps.com/



Remember to 
✿ღ.~♥  Live your Bliss ♥~ღ.✿